According to the American Association of Family Practice, “Family medicine is the medical specialty which provides continuing, comprehensive health care for the individual and family. It is a specialty in breadth that integrates the biological, clinical and behavioral sciences. The scope of family medicine encompasses all ages, both sexes, each organ system and every disease entity.” -http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/policy/policies/f/fammeddef.html
5 KEY POINTS ABOUT JOINING THE SPECIALTY
- -In 2012 there were 10,104 Family Medicine Resident Physicians of which 3,959 were minorities and 5,531 were women.
- -39% of Family Medicine Physicians have a level of debt greater than $200,000
- -2011 Average USMLE Step 1 Score ~211
- -2011 Average USMLE Step 2 Score ~227
- -2011 Major Professional Organization: American Association of Family Physicians